Saturday, March 13, 2010

Father Knows Best


"Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think...so don't blink"

Yes, Kenny Chesney might claim ownership of that sentiment via his lyrics...but in my heart, Mr. "He Thinks His Tractor's Sexy" really should give credit where credit is due....to my dad. Dad, like most parents, would probably get immense pleasure out of hearing me finally admit that "Yes pops...you were RIGHT!" Especially considering the number of times I rolled my eyes when he would warn me as a teenager and young adult that "Time flies too fast", "Stop trying to grow up so quickly Kathy" and the infamous "SOMEDAY you'll understand". Well, that SOMEDAY is TODAY and incredulously I find that not only am I apparently a country song cliche', but when I look in a mirror I somehow morphed into a twenty-five year old girl disguised in a fifty year old body. My tall, handsome and imposing dad has just moved into a retirement village with my mom. Altho still handsome, he doesn't seem quite so tall and imposing anymore. And I still have a problem wrapping my brain around the fact that I am not only the parent of three kids.... but two of them are the same age as the girl I feel is trapped on the inside! I am truly either a biological anomaly...or the poor victim of a practical joke.

I am most definitely the product of my father, both in the good and the "could be improved" categories. This alone could provide enough material for blog fodder. But for today, I find inspiration in a single sentiment of my dad's. For as much as I have in my life, I do believe there could be more if I start listening to my dad. Step back for a moment and truly took in the "today" instead of always looking towards the tomorrows. So my goal at fifty years old is a simple one....to finally listen to my dad, because father does know best. And okay, I will also listen to Kenny (even tho I have yet to find a tractor remotely appealing...let alone sexy), "So I've been tryin' ta slow it down...I've been tryin' to take it in. In this here today, gone tomorrow world we're livin in....."

Don't Blink,
K

11 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    I hear you. It is so difficult to watch our parents as they move from one domain to the next. When I stop and actually think about the different stages of my relationship with my folks I hurt. Especially when I think of the years I spent being annoyed or critical of the advice they would dispense (at my request, mind you!). I think your goal of "tryin'ta slow it down...tryin' to take it in." is an excellent goal.
    I can't wait to read more.
    Love,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. S,

    Brings to mind a very special gift I received from a very special friend...Ann Morrow Lindbergh's "A Gift From the Sea".

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    You are so right. Time passes by so quickly we need to slow down an enjoy what we have now. We are dealing with grown children and aging/ill/deceased parents. I too adored my dad and I miss him dearly, however, I feel blessed that we knew he was ill and we made the most of every minute we had with him. We need to do this with the important people in our lives. We need to slow down and deal with what we have now and appreciate it. It will change "in the blink of an eye!"
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    So much easier said than done referring to living for today and not tomorrow. I think we all look forward to tomorrow but we do need to slow down and look at today as if it were our last. We take things for granted and always think we are going to be here tomorrow.
    I lost my husband, Mom & Dad. I had time with both my parents and said what I wanted to say to them the months and years leading up to their deaths but I regret that I did not do that with my husband as his was sudden. I think of what I would of said to him before his passing but it is to late for me to say anything. I cry about it and want just one more day with him. But tomorrow will never come for him and I.
    I have enjoyed reading your blog and know that you will put your heart & soul into it. I look forward to reading more.
    You are truly blessed Kathy and your parents raised you to be a wonderful woman, wife, mother and friend.
    God Bless!
    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda,
    For sure, we need to look for tomorrow to give us hopes and dreams. Can't give that up completely. You just don't want to miss today while planning and dreaming about tomorrow all the time. It's the proverbial take time to smell the roses. But in my case right now....it's the coffee.
    Enjoy your Sunday!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. K -
    When we were in Nashville a couple of summers ago, we went to the Blue Bird Cafe. The Blue Bird is an unassuming restaurant/bar found in a standard issue strip mall there, but has been a haven for up and coming songwriters and musicians for years. On the weekends, they have open mike nights where they now invite songwriters to come -- they sit around a circle in the middle of the room and they tell the stories behind their songs, then they acoustically perform the songs in their own voice. It's all very intimate. The night we were there, the songwriters for "Don't Blink" were there. (Chris Wallin and Casey Beathard)

    Apparently, they both were in the car for a long trip from a gig or some such thing , and they got to talking. They both had suffered almost extraordinary losses of family and friends in recent years. I guess the conversation then turned to the idea that people just don't realize that they are making memories with each moment that unfolds...can we come up with a song that gets that point across? And the song was born. I think they succeeded. There was hardly a dry eye in the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. K -
    I have a bad habit at work of the "is it Friday yets" but who says you can't meet friends or have fun during the week, after work. It's so easy to put off until tomororw what you should do today.

    I think this is a step in the right direction for you, and I hope you get out of it as much as the readers do!

    Love you and am glad to have you in my life!
    <3 Peg

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found a very creative twist for your blog. Love it. I tell you, every time I look in the mirror I wonder who that old woman is looking back at me. I am so happy for you and your loving relationship with your parents. Since you read my blog you probably will know why I dropped my maiden name completely. Hopefully, my husband and I will have a different legacy to pass onto our children...something like you have with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Kathy!
    I too had a father who was larger than life, to me. Big, strong, independent. And to watch him dwindle down to 120lbs. due to cancer, was heartwrenching. I was able to say the things that I wanted to him. To tell him that he was "the best daddy a little girl could ever have had" and to tell him that he "gave me the best childhood". I feel that he left this world knowing the important things, that he "knew", but was never told.
    He was a sweet man, who worked very hard. A few months before my wedding, he handed me a check for over $6,000.00. Money that I knew he didn't have. He had opened up an account and put my measley $15.00/week room and board money in it! It was by far the greatest gift I have ever received, because I knew how special that was for him to do for me.
    Treasure your dad (and mom), cherish the memories you have yet to come with them. And I wish you many, many years of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Note to self: upcoming blog topic possibilities "the importance of friends". Thank you for all your stories and thoughts.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy,
    Beautifully written. You are an inspiration to us all. I enjoy reading your blog and what a wonderful daughter you are to both your parents.

    ReplyDelete